"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Needlework 12 Days of Christmas - 5th day...

On the 5th day of Christmas...


...quilting friends. I could not make a list of things about this year and my needlework without including my very special group of quilting friends that meet once a month here in my home. We have become a family and I love each one dearly. This past summer they started working in secret to make a house block for me as a surprise. In November, with our first evening here in my new home, they gave me these blocks.

I spent some time pondering what I wanted to do with the blocks. I wanted to set them up in a way that was more interesting that just sewing them together for a house quilt. I finally came up with an idea. Here is a sneak peek with more to come later in January...

"A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be. "
~ Douglas Pagels

15 comments:

Jantine said...

I think this setting is a very good idea! Wonder what is coming in the middle, bet the corners will be trees...

Kathy A. said...

What a lovely gift for your new home. I love those house blocks. I like the way you are thinking of laying them out. I wonder what the middle will be??? Very curious!

Catherine said...

What a beautiful thing for your friends to do! It will be fun to see what you come up with for the middle and corners!

Jenny said...

My family always says, " Jenny loves anything with an alphabet and/or a house on it." And so I do......so needless to say I love these house blocks!!!!!! They will make a very beautiful quilt. I love the way you have them arranged, very unique. It will be fun to see how the quilt will come together. Hugs!!!!

Rhonda said...

Hello Heidi
I have done a very poor job of keeping up with sweet friends like you, how touching to come to your blog to catch up and see this lovely quote about friendship.
2010 has just gone by in a blur for me but I am optimistic that 2011 will be a little slower-paced and less demanding.
Your quilt group sounds wonderful and I love the house blocks they made for you. I know you will come up with a great way to finish them off.

from your friend who is planning to stop in much more often.

DonnaTN said...

What a sweet group of ladies to gift you with the different house blocks. I know you will put them together and make something really special!

Saskia said...

There they are, 14 special houses for a special friend.
I like the lay-out,with more trees on the corners. And the brick fabrics for the center will make it a real house quilt.
Knuffels

Barb said...

It looks so "homely"Heidi, how lovely to have an extended family. I have to ask though have you been stitching? lol.
Happy New Year my friend

Susan in SC said...

Oh I LOVE the house blocks! What a sweet group of ladies you must have! I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Brigitte said...

Oh what a wonderful idea of your quilting friends to give you these house blocks as a house warming gift. I'm so curious to see what your finished quilt will look like.

Cindy's Stitching said...

oh how pretty. This will be beautiful.

Patty C. said...

Wonderful Idea
It is looking lovely

Anneke said...

what a lovely housewarming gift! those different houses are charming.
I think the quilt will look great.

Nancy said...

Okay, I will be waiting to see the finish.
Love you, Mom

angelasweby said...

Heidi, what a lovely gift you received from your very special group of friends. It could not be more appropriate and will make such a treasured memento when it is completed.
Enjoy many happy years ahead in your new home :>)
Angela xx