"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Friday, May 11, 2012

I know, I know.....

...I was going to work on mostly UFOs this year. But a girl cannot live on UFOs alone....right???


A couple of months ago, Jos hung my old huge cork board in my quilt studio. I was not sure I was going to use it in this house but decided I did have a wall big enough for it. It has quickly attracted a number of fun new quilt projects. More about the two doll quilts later. *grins*


Since my quilt studio is now downstairs in our new home right off the living room, I wanted the cork board to look nicer. Jos added an oak edging to it to give it a finished look. I just love it now!

Did you notice the project hanging at the bottom of the cork board?


I had been carrying the patterns for this cute stitchery quilt in my folder with my newsletters for my quilt group all this year. Not a good idea! When you see them constantly, it is hard to resist starting on them. But start I did and today just put the last touches on the quilt up to this point.

You can find these free patterns for Visions of Christmas here.


It is full of fun patterns like snowmen, nutcrackers, Santa, stockings, angels, gingerbread men and a little red wagon. Well...I made it into a little red wagon and added the Radio Flyer logo. You can enlarge the photos to see more details. What little kid in the US did not want a Radio Flyer wagon when they were growing up. Since I am in my second childhood, I asked my step father to get one of these cars so I could come home and drive it. For some reason he said no....lol. Take a look at this video of a couple in Alaska that have one.....


How neat is that? I bet it would stop traffic everywhere. 

So now I have to decide on what I want to do with the pieced border so I can get this top ready to start quilting. I am using all woven homespun fabrics for this quilt to give it a primitive country look. 


I am however still working away on a UFO which is being hand quilted. I have now been diagnosed with Raynaud's disease in my hand and it has been painful for over a month now. I am luckily left handed but still need the right for my needlework. This are slow but steady. I do hope to get a couple of finishes done by the end of May regardless. Wish me luck!?!

19 comments:

Pondside said...

You're right - a gal can't live by UFOs alone!
That film clip was very funny. I won't be showing it to my husband, as there is already an unfinished car in the garage and he doesn't need any more unfinished projects!

Nancy said...

Okay, I told George to look at this entry, so get ready for his comment. lol. It ought to be good.
It sure would be fun to ride in that silly thing. Write to them, bet they would say to come to Alaska for a ride.
I have been watching your progress on the quilts. Love the little bells you put on them.
Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Your cork board looks great and those quilt ideas-wow! Good luck with your sewing. Love the 'wagon!'

barbara said...

Oh my gosh, I just love your newest project, Heidi!

Anneke said...

wat een praktisch idee, zo'n kurkbord in je quiltkamer! Ik ben eigenlijk blij dat kerst patronen me nog niet zo trekken :-) zo kom ik niet in de verleiding...

Ik las je vorige post over je gezondheid, ik hoop dat je je nu wat beter voelt. het blijft wel wat tobben zeg! heel veel sterkte.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your hand. Your design wall looks much nicer than the flannel ones I have used.

Looking forward to seeing your finished projects.

blessings, jilly

Susan in SC said...

You are the queen of beautiful work! I love the cork board. I would love to have one just like it!

Ginny said...

How wonderful that you had Jos hang up your corkboard! The new edging makes all the difference. Great job on the Christmas quilt.

I have the beginnings of Raynaud's, and it was to the point that I had to put on gloves to get things out of the big freezer. I was tired of the side effects from my previous blood pressure medication, so my doctor put me on a calcium channel blocker, which has the added benefit of helping with Raynaud's. Fortunately, other than the temporary cold sensitivity, I don't have any long-lasting symptoms. I do hope you can get yours under control.

I owe you a long email; maybe I can get to it after I get another injection in my knee this coming Tuesday.

Rowan said...

I love the red quilt especially the Red Flyer block:) At least you know what is wrong with your hand now, I hope there is some medication that can help to ease the symptoms.

Rowan said...

I'm so taken with the colour of the quilt and the wagon that I put Red Flyer instead of Radio Flyer!

Christine said...

Lovely quilts Heidi, I hope they can sort out your hand for you soon

Jackie's Stitches said...

Glad to see that you couldn't resist the call of a new project! :) You've been really dedicated to UFOs!

Hoping the diagnosis on the hand results in some type of treatment that brings you comfort and pain release.

Julie said...

This new quilt is going to be lovely, super fabrics you've picked out.i hope you can get some relief from the pain in your hand.

Catherine said...

Sorry to hear about your hand pain. I do hope you have found some relief.
Love your quiltiness!

Joni J CHL said...

Girl, you are so inspiring! Love your quilts, etc. You have a real gift!! Hope you are feeling better.

DonnaTN said...

You picked a cute project to take a break from UFOs. Sorry to hear about your hand. Hope it isn't too painful.

GardenOfDaisies said...

You are making so many beautiful quilts! Yes, it's fine to work on new project as long as you also keep plugging away on the UFO's. And it's also OK to dontate the UFO, if you change your mind about wanting to make that project. Just do what you love.

Lady Linda said...

As a quilter myself, oh, I know the stuggle with UFO's! It's just so fun to start something new, heh?
Love you blog...the previous post is wonderful.
Glad I found you via Garden of Daisies!
Linda

Sonja said...

Oh, wat maak je telkens weer mooie dingen! Zo veel inspiratie!!!