"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Ahhhh.....I'm melting away..."

Remember that scene from the Wizard of Oz? I grew up being a witch most Halloween's. I even won a costume competition one year when my brother painted my face green and gave me a wart to go with my witch's costume. My prize? A huge pink and white teddy bear. An obvious prize for a witch right? *grins*


This weekend, I found two fabulous Halloween charts from The Primitive Needle and started the first one as part of my HarmAn marathon this week. I just loved this Witch's Checkers game board. I have an idea already about the finishing which I hope will work but you will have to wait a little while for that.

I am using things I had in my stash for this project. I am stitching it on 28 count tea dye evenweave I bought at a stitching shop up in Elburg. I am working this one over one. The threads are Carrie's Threads Double Shot and Crescent Colours Fallen Leaves. I have enough for this chart but will need to order some more pronto to start the second chart. I would love to finish both in time for Halloween!



For anyone who wants to take a look at that famous scene of Dorothy throwing water on the Wicked Witch of the West...enjoy the video. Turn off the Halloween music on my sidebar to hear the video. It makes me think of my sister who loved imitating the Wicked Witch and Halloween was her favorite holiday. Each year, Halloween becomes more of a fun holiday to me as a way to remember her.


Stitching is the best thing to do today and tomorrow in Holland as we are having above 30C temperatures. I am seriously melting away.............

13 comments:

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
What a great Halloween pattern and you're stitching away like a woman possessed...haha! Talk about smoking needles. I think all that witchy indoctrination as a child had more of an effect than anyone realised :>) Send a bit of white magic in this direction.
Hugs Angela

Sonja said...

Ja, heerlijk weer om niet teveel te bewegen. Een handwerkje bij de hand en een glaasje water en dan komen we wel door zo'n warme dag heen! Je schiet al weer aardig op met dit werk. Ook een Heku-project? (start and finish in no time, the opposite of HarmAn-day....)

Elizabethd said...

I think the heatwave has arrived!

Pondside said...

I love that scene!
Your witch checkerboard is very sweet. I've already done a Hallowe'en piece but I just might pop into the needlework shop (conveniently located less than 100 yards from my office!) and see if they have it, or something like it.

Nancy said...

No wonder kids hide their eyes over this movie. I have to dvd. Your witch, however, is to cute. We were talking yesterday when you were stitching her. I am not sure what is on the checker board. It is sure cute.
I really don't think I will be doing any Halloween stitching. I have way to much to do right now, no time.
Love you, Mom

Kaaren said...

I love decorating for fall and Halloween. The stitching patternt hat you're working on will be a wonderful fall addition.

I'm hoping that we're on the downside of the most opressive heat wave that we've had in years. I've been hibernating indoors for the past 5 days in the a/c. Tonight is the first time in a week where I've dared to open the windows and leave them open. I've missed the sounds of the birds and crickets.

Keep well, Heidi.

Brigitta said...

I'm still looking for a really fabulous halloween pattern as my dd is a halloweenbaby. Yours looks really nice!

I'm crocheting at the moment, works quite well too in this heat ;-)

Have a lovely day!

Margaret said...

Love it Heidi. Looking forward to progress pictures and to seeing your final finish.

Finished stitching 'All Hearts' yesterday and will look for a frame today. Hope to show you soon.

Happy stitching.

irma said...

Wat leuk muziek erbij.(had m'n boxen een keer aan, staan meestal uit) Ik heb nog een hoop te leren. Het geeft je blog echt iets persoonlijks. Liefs Irma

Jeanne said...

I love good witch charts too and yes I was a wicked witch for Halloween complete with striped socks and shoes with red glitter on them. LOL There is a cute witch on the new Prairie Schooler "Boo to You" chart as well I like, and I always wanted to stitch Lavendar Wings' "Midnight Ride" chart. So many witches to stitch! WIll be watching you stitch this one up.

Caroline said...

What a lovely, lovely chart! I love all Halloween stitchings, as they mean that autumn is on its way. Such a festive season!
Hope you are not melting in the heat, the bucket of water does look like a good idea though...

Lynne said...

I love the witch.
We had a tremendous heavy downpour yesterday. Hope your not melting clean away.

Linda said...

Hi Heidi...I love Halloween and have dressed as a witch always. I've fallen in love with TPN designs and your checkerboard is looking wonderful...what is the other one you will be doing. I will think of you while I stitch Kindred Spirits and you do the same when you are doing your Halloween pieces:). Hugs, Linda


p.s. TPN has several new charts coming soon....looking forward to that.