"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Saturday, August 1, 2009

HarmAn Day!

What is HarmAn Day you ask??? Let me tell you a fun story...

Last week at our Sip 'N Stitch, Annemarie was starting to show us her WIPs. We ooohed and aaahed everything until Margaret and I realized that Annemarie's drawers seemed to be a bottomless pit of started projects. Both she and Harmien start all the wonderful charts they love never being bogged down by the guilt of those already started. They even joked about setting two stitches just to start a project.

So Margaret and I are having our very first HarmAn (combined their names to mark this day) Day on the first of the month which is a day that she and I are allowed to start a new project.



Now at this moment, I am up at Cranberry Cottage starting the first stitches on Practice Makes Perfect. With the magic of predating blog entries, I can share this with you today. It is a little chart which my mother gave me for my birthday. It will measure a little over three inches square as I am using 40-count linen. She also sent me the Gentle Arts Sampler threads to go with it. So this weekend I am celebrating HarmAn Day sitting out in the garden (if there is no rain) stitching on this sweet little sampler.

Wishing you all a creatively inspired weekend!

13 comments:

Annemarie said...

Woot! What a great project to start your very first HarmAn Day, Heidi! Margaret has started hers and, if you have seen my latest blog entry, I'm hoping to turn this HarmAn Day into a HeiMar Day. If I can contain myself, that is :o))

I hope you have a lovely weekend up at Cranberry Cottage. My parents tell me the weather in Drenthe is lovely, so I'm sure you will enjoy a day full of stitching and pointing out to Jos where to plant which flowers.

Sheila said...

What a great idea... it sounds like the four of you have such a good time together :)

Tammy said...

Love your new project!
What a great idea!

Kaaren said...

What a great idea, Heidi. Then you have the full month to work on WIP's because you musn't start on a new one til the 1st!

What a sweet little project. Do you stitch with something to magnify something so tiny?

I just love the colors. They look very vintage which I love.

Have a great weekend at the cottage.

Linda said...

Heidi...this is a sweet stitch, I like the floss and your creative thinking too...hugs, Linda

angelasweby said...

What a great idea, Heidi. What about following through by finishing a small project on the last day of each month - no pressure..haha! I might well join you. My friend and I always say White Rabbits on the first day of each month, perhaps I should adapt that to ''New Project'' I love that pretty little project nancy gave you. The little kindness saying is really sweet.

Have a lovely time at Paradise cottage, Heidi
Hugs Angela

Pondside said...

Ah Heidi, you made me laugh!! That is one of the best rationales that I've heard for starting a new project - a special 'new projec' day! I may borrow it!

Susan in SC said...

What a fun day you created!

Nancy said...

Hi:
I almost forgot that you said you were pre posting this entry. It worked well. I was just thinking last week of asking you about that chart. lol. Glad you are starting it.
Happy stitching.
Love you, Mom

Sonja said...

Did you have a nice Harman day? And did you pick a lot of blackberry's? We had some troubles at home: Mike drilled a hole just right there were the water from our washing machine must go... So he started yesterday repairing it. But I think we will be leaving this afternoon or maybe tomorrow. He will finish the reparation later. I am looking forward to a lot of stitching-time!!!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, just love your thinking up the HarmAn Day! Now, the next time I start a new project will think of it and not have one little pang of guilt. Probably I will leave with many WIP's as am much older than you and your stitching friends. Maybe Rhonda will finish them or even Nina as she is slowly becoming more interested in stitching. A friend in Texas, Rowena - also known as RoRo.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I always loved stitching. Sitting in my chair with a quilting hoop in my lap. Usually a dog or two curled underneath the quilt. Warm and comforted as I quilted away. Stitch-work of any kind is just a soothing, tranquil thing.
Brenda

DonnaTN said...

I love your idea of starting a new project on the 1st of the month. I too need permission to start new things when I have so many wip's. I can't wait to see your new project in the works!