"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Monday, June 7, 2010

Meet Amelia!

There has been much talk about dolls lately on one of my Yahoo lists. I was asked to share a photo of the doll my sister made. Meet Amelia.....


She did not name this doll and actually made it for my mother. My mother brought it over to me a couple of years ago. I have a fabulous teddy bear that she made me. I had a bunny but sent that to her youngest daughter to keep since she did not have one.

Amelia is sitting on her own miniature Windsor high back chair holding her book. It is miniature version of A Little Golden Book 'We Help Mommy'. I found it once while visiting my mother back in Ohio. I loved this book and had it (regular sized, of course) when I was a little girl.

I have named her Amelia. We had the original Amelia Bedelia book when I was little and just loved it. Giving her doll this name makes me think of fond memories of that wonderful book. I wonder if my mother still has it? Now for any of you in blogland who do not know who Amelia Bedelia is...she is a housekeeper who takes everything literally. When she reads her list of things to do, she does them...so she dresses the turkey with clothes or dusts the furniture with powder or puts out the lights on the clothesline or draw the curtains she takes up paper and pencil to sketch them.


I really must come up with a special quilt for Amelia but in the meantime, she is showing you a patch from my latest doll quilt. I have been so busy stitching that I have been neglecting my doll quilt. Perhaps I should let Amelia sit on her chair next to my sewing machine so I work harder?

Now for those of you waiting to see my new frame...it is coming in the next post I promise. I wanted to try it out first before I put it on the blog and guess what? I LOVE IT! Will show it to you soon. In the meantime, it is back to the frame to stitch away on my flower sampler.

26 comments:

EllyvD said...

What a lovely lady is Amelia, I am glad you are making a dollquilt for her. Wish you success by making it.
Hugs
Elly

Rhonda said...

what a pretty doll, I esp. like her dress. I am glad you have her since your sister made her, did she like to do handwork as much as you and your mother do?

My children loved Amelia Bedilia and would giggle everytime the heard or read her books.

and I Help Mommy and I Help Daddy were the 2 favorite of all the golden books I read to my children. I don't have the actual ones I read to them but I have since hunted them out and have copies to read to Gavin and Elizabeth.
They have just the sweetest pictures in them, don't they?

Hazel said...

What a gorgeous doll. I have never heard of those books before. x

martine said...

Ben verliefd op het stoeltje waar jouw Amelia op zit.
Ik heb ze in het groot maar zo'n kleintje..... zo lief.

Amy said...

Love this doll, it is so cute. I am planning on making a few dolls for my daughter for Christmas.

Thanks for sharing.

Lainey said...

What a lovely doll and the little quilt is so sweet.

RoseLady said...

What a lovely treasure. I can almost see her hand quilting that little block.

Joan

Susan in SC said...

I love Amelia. Thank you sharing her with us. How does she like living in Holland?

hazel c UK said...

What a cutie amelia is and you must be so pleased to have her with the memories that go with her. I like the new doll quilt you are making.
Hugs,
Hazel (UK)

Elyte said...

Thank you for introducing Amelia. I love her dress with that lovely neckline.
Your Irish Chain block looks great with the assortment of reds. Look forward to seeing the quilt top finished.

mainely stitching said...

What a lovely doll! :D

Margaret said...

Nice to meet you Amelia. You really must sit beside mama Heidi to make sure she gets working on that quilt for you. You just never know when the days may turn cold.:-)

Barbara J said...

Amelia is so demure. She sure is a lady through and through. And how cute is that book!

And your Irish Chain block is looking good! Love the colours.

DonnaTN said...

Amelia is so sweet! I love her little necklace.

Pondside said...

Sweet little Amelia and a very pretty quilt block. Have fun working on it!

Katell said...

What a cute doll !
The story of Amelia reminds me of our french Bécassine, a good woman but very naive... Is Amelia Dutch ?

Christine said...

Amelia is beautiful and I love her little red and cream quilt sample

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
Amelia is the most homely comfy looking rag doll I have ever seen. I could happily sit and chat with her over tea and scones and if there was anything on my mind, I'm sure Amelia would find a way of making me feel it wasn't anything to worry about at all:>) She's a wonderful link with your sister as, I'm sure, every time you see her your sister pops into your thoughts :>)

I was fascinated by your account of Amelia Bedilia. I have never heard of her before but must see if i can find a copy. I've always come to the best children's books late in life :>)

Sonja said...

I suppose I need you to translate something...because I don't understand this Amalia sayings. I think they are "gezegdes" but I'll ask you when I see you (soon!!!)(
Is this little patchwork the one I will be making soon too?..I love it.

Saskia said...

Like the doll! Keep her close by, so you work harder..;-) And she is special because she's made by someone special.

onlymehere said...

She's so cute! The doll quilt is going to be lovely too.

Ginny said...

Amelia Bedelia. That brings back fond memories. The books are hilarious, and we enjoyed reading them to our girls when they were little. How wonderful that you've named your doll after her!

Siobhán said...

What a sweet little Amelia doll! I love the quilt block she's holding, too.

Jenny said...

Oh Heidi, Thank you for sharing Amelia with all of us. What a very special doll she is and what memories she holds close to her heart. I too love Amelia Bedilia books and have many happy memories reading them to my children as well as the children I have taught.As for Little Golden Books I grew up with them, and remember well my own mother reading them to me. Your Irish Chain quilt block is lovely as usual and will make a beautiful quilt. Happy stitching!

Carolien said...

Amelia is lovely and yes, it's funny she hasn't her own quilt yet ;)
That Amelia book sounds like a lovely book too ...

Bye & hugs, Carolien

Sandra Henderson said...

I have really enjoyed catching up on your lovely blog today! ALL of your work is so beautiful! I made a doll this week, Sally. Now I'm making her clothes. You've inspired me. :)