"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Monday, June 11, 2012

Keeping warm on a cool summer's eve.....

The weather turned quite chilly again in Holland. We have even had a fire going in the wood stove in the evenings on and off. But I am warm regardless with my latest finish...


I wanted to dig into my rather large stash of yarn. I have really had a bad case of yarn greed since I started crocheting. At least this project helped out by plundering my stash for 19 skeins.

I wanted a delicate look so choose a pattern with the shell stitch but also made it look rustic with stripes of cream, light grey, beige and dark grey. I knew I would just have to keep going until I ran out of yarn and it happened faster than I had hoped when I ran out of dark grey. You see.....I hope it would become huge and I could use it on a double bed but instead it is a perfect size to snuggle up on the couch with. I am really pleased with it!


More finishes to come this week. One finish has to be kept secret. I finished a door hanger which is the theme this year for my quilt group's Christmas in July gift exchange. I just love it and hate to give it away which is a good sign. I cannot wait to have the party in July and see who gets it. I promise to share it with you then.

19 comments:

Nancy said...

I told you you should not give that away. Now the afghan came out so nice. I was watching you making it as we talked on skype. I loved when I made mine and used all my scraps.
Well not all of them, but many. I still have some left.
Now, whats next????????????
Love you, Mom

Lida said...

It is a beauty! Greetings
Lida

Pondside said...

It's always nice to have something fresh and new to cuddle up in on a cool evening. My cream afghan is getting a little tired-looking, so perhaps I should investigate my stash.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Your hands make such wonderful treasures. I love cool nights and crisp mornings. It is so invigorating. Good luck on your many projects. I'm sure they all look great! Take care, Heidi.

Jo said...

lovely blanket - it looks really cosy!

Sweet Sue said...

Lovely, delicate and subtle, your colors work well together and yes, a touch of rustic, congrats:)

Julie said...

Really pretty, looks so soft and beautiful.

regina said...

dear heidi
absolutley a fantastic blanket.love the colors.
wish you a cosy evening,
love and hugs regina

Deborah said...

Beautiful work, Heidi! Thecolors are wonderful.

Ginny said...

Your throw is lovely. Keep warm!

Anneke said...

Love it! and indeed, the temperatures are so low you need a nice blanket sometimes.

Susan in SC said...

Love your afghan! Hmm, I might have to fly to Holland and join your quilt group so I could snatch the door hanger! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Lovely blanket - such pretty colors.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Jenny said...

The afghan is really lovely Heidi. It looks so cozy and just the right thing to cuddle with on a chilly evening. A good book and a cup of hot chocolate would be with me though...LOL... I am crocheting navy blue and ivory granny squares to make a simple two color patchwork throw...It has been really fun to bring out my yarn and crochet hooks again...Hugs from CA. my friend!

Rowan said...

I love the throw, the colours are subtle and will look good in any season. It's a pity that you need it in JUne though:)

Marsha said...

Looks so pretty and cost too.

Marsha said...

That's supposed to say 'cozy too'

Hindustanka said...

It's a cozy way of keeping warm ) You made a lovely blanket, I love the calm colors. Wishing you warm days anyway!

Catherine said...

So very pretty!! I love the colors and how it sure does look comfy cozy!