"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas excitement!

Yes, my home is buzzing with Christmas crafting excitement! And here is why...

My Sinterklaas quilt is finished. I have fallen in love with this little table quilt so much so that I am already looking forward to November 2010 and being able to set it out on my table when Sinterklaas arrives back in Holland once again.

Since I decided to use our quilt group's charm theme for this quilt, I wanted the quilt work to be visible and yet not over the top. After all, your eye has to see all those various fabrics. So I pulled out my gold metallic quilting thread yet again and quilted some simple lines. Now if you use metallic quilt thread, you must use larger quilt stitches in order for the quilting to show up well.

But what to do about that black fabric I used as a border? I needed something to bring out all those charms even more. This fabric did just the job. Now how to quilt it? All the little berry like shapes on it gave me the idea for freehand quilting half circles in varying sizes all around the border. And so another finish for 2009 is the first excitement!

Dagi had maybe too much excitement yesterday for his 12th birthday. Poor little old man. I am tempted to simply lay down beside him for a Christmas cuddle but no I have to share my next excitement...

I love nutcrackers! When I learned to drive at 16 I started going to see the Nutcracker ballet each year. I went each year for very many years until my health prevented me from being able to sit through the length of the ballet. Now I watch various versions on video for the holidays each year.

This year, I did not decorate as much as I normally do and most of my nutcracker collection has remained packed away. I pulled out only a few.

While browsing on eBay, I was inspired with a fun idea. I have a number of nutcrackers ornaments on my Christmas tree. This set below were a gift from my mother and when I found this...

...a deliciously pink feather tree for only 1,99 British pounds (lets not discuss the cost of postage), I knew exactly what I would do with it. The things I show in the photo with the ornaments are a hint.

So I am very excited to get started on this project but I will not say too much more about it. Come back soon and see what I do with this tree. I will share progress on my nutcracker tree as I go. Until then, my lips are sealed. *grins*

On this Christmas eve, as I sit here by my festive Christmas tree with the glow of candles, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

25 comments:

Carolien said...

Hello Heidi,

Your Sinterklaas quilt looks so warm and friendly, just like St. Nicolaas! Well done! The circles are nice too, a good solution with that lovely fabric.
I am curious about that pink feather tree ...

I wish you and Jos a very merry and happy Christmas time!

Hugs, Carolien

anneke said...

Your quilt is ready! I like the result very much, including the quilting lines. And I always admire everyone who finishes a project that fast...

Have a very merry christmas with the ones you love.

martine said...

Fijne feestdagen.

DebbieSFL said...

Your quilt is lovely and I love the pink tree!!! Merry Christmas!!

Daffycat said...

Wishing you joy this Christmas, Heidi!

Linda said...

Merry Christmas Heidi...your quilt turned out lovely and you know I love The Nutcracker so I'm very anxious to see what you do with the precious pink tree...hugs, Linda

hazel c UK said...

Hello Heidi, So pleased your tree arrived, I think they are a pretty pink, look forward to seeing what you do with yours next year.

I love the Sinterklaas quilt you have a wonderful imagination and the finish is lovely.

Have a nice Christmas and hope 2010 will be a healthy one for you and Jos.
Love Hazel (UK)

Anonymous said...

Fijne feestdagen voor jou en Jos en Dagi, Heidi!!

Letty said...

Your Sinterklaas quilt looks great with the dark border! Give a hug to Dagi and wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Malipayon nga paskua sa inyo.

Love Eric & Becky

onlymehere said...

I'm working today, Christmas Day, and am so glad you posted just for me, lol! Those ornaments are adorable and the nutcrackers bring back fond memories for me. I've only been to the play a few times but enjoyed it immensely! Merry Christmas to you! I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you do with the tree! Cindy

Kaaren said...

Your Sinterklaas quilt is wonderful, Heidi. Since it is so close to 2010, perhaps you can count it as your first finish for the New Year.

I absolutely LOVE your pink Christmas tree and I can't wait to see it transformed by your magic.

Merry Christmas!

Susan in SC said...

Merry Christmas Heidi! I just wanted to thank you for sharing your talent with the rest of us. You are a constant source of inspirtation!! I hope you have a wonderful, healthy New Year!!

Jocelyn said...

Merry Christmas Heidi! Love your quilt and your sweet decorations. Hope you have a good day.

DonnaTN said...

Your table top quilt is just beautiful! And your pink tree is really eye catching!

Saskia said...

Happy holiday's!
Can you make the little "sinterklaas"quilt not the christmas in july project??...It would be more a dutch christmas in july then.
I hope you and Jos had and have perfect christmas day's.
Hugs
Saskia and Rover

Christine said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and best wishes for the New Year

Dutchquiltster said...

Hi Heidi.
Wat is dat een leuke quilt geworden,ik kan me niet voorstellen dat iemand een Sinterklaasquilt heeft.Trouwens een goed idee van Saskia,ik wil hem graag maken alleen al voor de borduurpatronen.Hele fijne feestdagen en tot 6 Jan.
Joke.

Nancy said...

I love your little quilt, but don't wish the year away so fast. I hope this coming year brings better health to both of us.
Your little pink tree looks really cute, now, to see if decorated.
Now as for King Dagi, happy birthday to him and boy does he ever look content.
Love you, Mom

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
I love your pretty Nutcracker ornaments and can't wait to see what you do with them and the pink tree :>)
Your blog is always full of intrigue AND lots of creative ideas, of course..haha!
The Sinterklass quilt is adorable. It's imarvellous that the idea came from a piece of wrapping paper. I often get great ideas but they usually remain in the cranial filing cabinet...haha!
Warm hugs Angela

Brigitte said...

Your Sinterclass quilt is really special with all the great fabrics, the stitched pieces and the quilt stitches all around the border.
I hope you were having some wonderful Christmas holidays and are enjoying a nice and restful weekend.

Siobhán said...

Heidi, what a beautiful quilt! Congratulations on a stunning finish. :) Love the tree, too! Wishing you a happy & healthy 2010.

Teri said...

The table-top quilt looks great! I love the dark fabric with the cross stitched designs. Very nice!

fireythreads said...

heidi
love your blog thankyou for sharing with us
My husband also has aalarge nutcracker collection we also put up a nutcracker tree that has 50+ small nutcrackers on it wich I knew how to send you aphoto of it

elizabeth

Nishant said...

Your quilt is ready! I like the result very much, including the quilting lines

Work from home India