"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Primitive ornaments SAL - Silent Night

Last January, I started this series of ornaments as freebies on my blog. Where did the year go? It is already December 15th and only 10 days before Christmas. I have a small 3 ft. tree decorated with these little primitive ornaments. I hope you have enjoyed working on these as much as I had the fun of designing them. They were intended to be simple charts that could be stitched up easily in an afternoon. So many are overly busy in this day and age that I wanted to create something that was doable for you. There is still time to stitch a couple up even before this Christmas.

When I sat down to create this last ornament of 2009, this image came immediately to mind. I thought this would be a fitting close to the SAL. Who does not love the soft tones of this beautiful Christmas song?

But just days ago, I received an email from Hetty to thank me for the designs and tell me that her father had just passed away so the coming days were busy with arranging things for his funeral. I got goose pimples thinking of the design I was going to put on the blog today. It seemed so fitting for her right now. I want to dedicate this ornament to Hetty and wish her strength this week as well as peace in her heart over the loss of her father. And Hetty, it is you who should be thanked for faithfully stitching my ornaments and being a friend.

To print the chart, simply click to enlarge and either copy to an email or Word.

Hetty's (no blog) Sleigh Rides is adorable with the addition of the little rusty jingle bells.

Her ornament collection is complete and ready for the holidays.

Jackie contacted me recently that she had been stitching my ornaments. When she sent the the photo of her first one finished, all I could say was WOW! Primitive goes elegant!

And this version of Figgy Pudding is so sweet! I love the apron Alma Verónica made.

23 comments:

hazel c UK said...

Not very often I am first to comment Heidi, I love the last design and maybe I will get it stitched in time for Christmas. Have you anything planned for next year.

Just in case Hetty reads this my thoughts are with her at this sad time.

Thank you for all the lovely designs you have given us this year and also a big thanks for all the inspiration you have also given so freely.

Love Hazel (UK)

hazel c UK said...

Hi again, I forgot to say I love Hetty's collection of ornaments and such a wonderful way to display them.

Also the other ladies projects are unusual. Well done and thank you for sharing.

Hazel)UK)

anneke said...

thanks for this last freebie; it's as adorable as the others. I looked at them yesterday, as I want to stitch one for my DD1; she has moved out this year and I think it's a great opportunity to stitch her a christmas ornament, maybe a tradition will begin...

thanks again

Letty said...

Hi Heidi, I have been so busy lately that I haven't finished the last of your ornament designs. But they are so cute so they are in my to-do box to complete very soon!

Linda said...

Hi Heidi....this is a another wonderful design, thank you for all the sweet pieces. I have a small tree with my little ornaments adorning it and some in my to do basket...I hope to finish a couple more before Christmas and I'm going to share my tree soon. I just love it...hugs, LInda

Pondside said...

What a great collection everyone has made over the year. I've been saving the charts for a time when I'll have more......time!

Anonymous said...

Mooi Heidi, eens ga ik ook de rest maken! Groetjes
Elly

Rhonda said...

Heidi
I did not stitch along with you but I am wishing I had - the ornaments are all so sweet.
My 2009 was bit hectic though.

I like how Hetty has her ornaments on the wall.

I baked a batch of Mexican Wedding Cookies yesterday - they are very good and wouldn't it be nice if we were together to share them?

onlymehere said...

I love the fun twists your friends have put on your designs! My prayers go out to Hetty at this time.

Nancy said...

Well, first of all, you did a marvelous job on designing these ornaments. I only made one, but they are all very cute.
Hetty did a beautiful job and I am very sad for her about her Dad. It is never easy, but double hard at a holiday.
I love that apron, how cute is that. what a neat idea. I saw the other one and did leave a comment for the blogger who made it.
It was a very good ending ornament. I was able to visit the Silent Night Chapel on one of our trips. The song was written there.
Great job Miss Pickles, now come help me sew please.
Love you, Mom

Kaaren said...

A fitting way to end your year of Christmas ornaments. I have printed off all the charts and hope to get to them in the new year when things are less hectic. I am very new to x-stitch but I love it and find it very relaxing. My goal is to set aside more time in which to x-stitch.

My prayers to Hetty. It is difficult to lose a parent at any time but even harder during the holiday season.

Anonymous said...

ooo so beautifull!!!!
all are so sweet!!!
hugs
françoise

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
I loveSilent Night. It's my favourite carol and your design is just perfect for it.
I love everyone's interpretations of your designs especially Hetty's amazing collection.
It will be a nice surprise seeing what you have in store for next year :>)
Angela xx

Elizabethd said...

I cant believe it is a year since you started the idea. They have been so lovely to look at through the months.
Silent Night is one of my very favourite songs.

corry said...

Hallo Heidi, my days are so busy lately that I will save these lovely patterns for next year. Thank you so much!

Carolien said...

Hi Heidi,

Lovely ornament again! I will make them one day! Do you remember the last time you were here I said I didn't want too many UFO's? I made a list today of my 'things' and ahum! I must have 'changed' ;) Oeps, must prepare myself mentally for this in the new year ...
Do you know the poncho's of your mom are too good? I fell asleep tonight under one of them ...

Have a nice evening & sleep well & hugs,
Carolien

Anonymous said...

deze is ook weer heel leuk.

Ja het jaar alweer voorbij.

Ik denk dat je goed geslaagd bent in je opzet.
Eenvoudige ornamentjes die veel zeggen.
En waar heel van te maken is.
Bedankt !!

Ik heb er maar 2 gemaakt maar geniet elke keer wanneer ik ze zie.

Leuk om het werk van iedereen te zien !!

marian'ne m

Daffycat said...

Oh no, the last one! And it's fabulous! Thank you so much!

Hetty's collection is wonderful. She did such a great job!

Siobhán said...

Awww, beautiful, Heidi! Thanks for the ornament chart. Prayers going out for Hetty in this sad & difficult time.

DonnaTN said...

All your ornaments have been simple yet so charming. I love to see all the finishes, that apron is great. Thank you for sharing your creativity with your readers! My thoughts and prayers go out to Hetty and her family.

Christine said...

Lovely design Heidi. I adore the "figgy pudding" finished as an apron, so creative!

Brigitte said...

I printed them all out and plan to stitch them next year, month by month. I love the picture of Hetty's collection, it's a true inspiration. Thanks for all those great designs.

Alma_vcg said...

Muchas gracias por todos los gráficos que nos regalas, todos son muy lindos.

Saludos