"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The tale of two witches.....

And not any two witches! These two are very good witches who's motto is 'Have broom, will travel' and are good friends. Broomhilde lives in Missouri and Nag lives in Ohio. They keep in good touch with each other sending message back and forth across their brooms. They both love their black hats and talking about the oldest models of broomsticks. They both keep a watchful eye on me from a distance which is great when you are a kind and good witch. One of these witches was born on Halloween (yes I was very late) so what could be more fitting...


...than an orange and black witch's scissor fob for her birthday. I could never leave the other witch out of course so Nag had to have one too. Have you guessed the identity of these two witches? Broomhilde's blog is here and Nag's here.


Now before anyone thinks shock and horror that I called my mother Nag, it was her initials when my father was still alive. We all lovingly teased her about it and, well, what better name for a witch?

Just to update you on my tooth, the tooth came out very easily after the terror of being at the surgeon. He and his assistant were so kind to me and gave me all the time I needed being so afraid. The tooth slid out perhaps because of all the infection making it loose? I noticed that there was a little wire or needle sticking out of the tooth as he removed it but forgot afterwards to ask about it or even if I could have the tooth. That was not part of the root canal was it? My dentist was obviously correct when he first took me on as a patient and did full mouth xrays. He said he thought there was a needle or metal thread broken off during the root canal causing the infection. The dentist who did the root canal was awful! I am petrified now to have any dental work done.

Unfortunately, the stitches ripped within two hours of being home but the surgeon says it should be fine. I must admit as much as I love stitching myself, it was not something I needed to see so I closed my eyes when he started this part. I am very sore now in my jaw and have difficulty in swallowing but that is all normal and should pass in three days according to the booklet he gave me. So this week, I am taking it very easy and sitting on the couch stitching. I am glad that part is behind me now and will see my dentist this month to have a bridge made.

Thanks to you all for your kind thoughts and prayers!

19 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hello Heidi
I don't like dental work either - but I never would seen the tooth,
I just close my eyes when I am in the chair until everything is done.

that is really agravating that all your trouble was probably caused by someones carelessness.

hope the rest of your dental visits so smoothly and painless.

Margaret said...

Glad the dental work is over with and everything actually went quite well.

Love the witches for your friendly witches.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully now all that dental is behind you and all is well.

Nancy said...

I just posted a blog entry about my coasters and witch and came to yours and this post was on. I love my little witch, and I bet Barbara does also. I am knitting a poncho right now for Barbara as a gift to her DIL.
I want to have it done asap for her.
I am so happy that tooth is out, but I think the dentist needs sued, who left that wire or needle in. Stupid, incompetent, should I go on?
Happy stitching as you heal.
Love you and thank you,
Mom aka Nag the Witch (at least you didn't name me Hag, lol)

onlymehere said...

I'm so glad this is finally over. Hoepfully you'll heal fast and be able to chew again before too long. I smiled when I saw what you called your mom! I worked with my mother in a little drug store when I was in high school. She'd never answer to mom at work so I started calling her Mary (her first name) so she'd respond. I didn't call her that at home, just at work! Take care of yourself!

Tammy said...

Yikes! Going to the dentist isn't my favorite thing to do either. Glad the worst of your ordeal is over.
Those witches are "good" very nice presents indeed.
Hope you heal quickly, feel better, happy stitching and hugs2u!

Marsha said...

Heidi thank you for visiting my blog and your kind comments. I've had much dental work and I'm upset for days before. So nerve wracking. Maybe this dental surgeon can recommend a 'good' dentist. Have a good stitch while recovering physically and emotionally.

Kaaren said...

I just love your witch scissor fobs. Now there's a great idea...changing our scissor fobs with each holiday or season.

I'm happy to hear that your oral surgery went well and that you're on the mend. I think we're all so apprehensive about visiting the dentist. Twice a year is more than enough!

Happy stitching while you're healing.

Carolien said...

Hello Heidi,

How good you take it easy now, have fun while stitching!
Your witches ánd the fobs are so cute, that must have been a nice surprise for these 2 ladies :)

Groetjes, ook aan Jos en hugs, Carolien

Linda said...

I hope you are feeling better today! And that your mouth isn't hurting too much. Last year, I had a big empty crater in my mouth sewed up (after he took out my crown).... and I couldn't watch either! I closed my eyes too!

Linda in VA

DonnaTN said...

Ouch, sorry about your stitches ripping. The witch fobs are adorable! You are so clever!

mainely stitching said...

I'm so glad the terror is behind you now! I hope that you'll heal up quickly! Take care!! BIG hugs!

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
My goodness those witches look as if they are having a great chinwag - putting the world AND you to rights, I'm sure! I love those little charms and the beads in the fob are just right. What lovely names they have :>)

I'm so glad all went well at the dentist. How frightening to think the other dentist may have left something behind that has caused most of this problem but, thankfully, in a few days you'll feel wonderful. It does sound as if you have found a dentist you can trust now.
Hugs Angela

Ginny said...

I was excited to see an envelope from Holland in my mailbox today! I love the coaster, Heidi! One of my daughters picked one up and proceeded to turn it inside out to figure out how it was made. Alas, she didn't give me any clues, so I will have to repeat her actions to find out for myself! Thank you so much; I can't wait to use them!

Heleen said...

Love the two little witches! I'm happy to hear that the dental problems are better now.

Sonja said...

Dat lijken me twee hele lieve heksen te zijn!!!LOL.

Susan in SC said...

Heidi - I am so glad that your oral surgery is over. I hope you continue to feel better and better!

Anonymous said...

Ik vind ze énig, mooi met de kralen !!!

En deze 'heksen' zijn dus gewoon 2lieve granny's !!;-))

Oei, gelukkig is dat tandartsen bezoek achter de rug.

Borduur nog maar even lekker verder !!

Je site is mooi in de kerstsfeer !!

marian'ne m

Siobhán said...

Heidi, I'm so glad that your surgery went well and that you're on the mend. Did I ever tell you about the time I had to get a tooth out here, after an unsuccessful attempt at a root canal? My (Irish) MIL asked me if they would use anesthesia (probably spelling that wrong) on me--I was petrified at the thought that they wouldn't. So I went in & asked to make sure, which greatly offended the dentist, who said, "We're not totally in the dark ages here, of course we do!". That kind of set the tone for the whole thing. :P Blergh. I'm so glad that all went well for you & that you're healing. I hope the soreness goes away quickly.

Love the gifts for the witches. ;)