"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Join our Christmas party!

Last night was our annual Christmas party for my quilt group. Come on in and join us!


Each year, I give the ladies a theme in August or September to start working on a handmade Christmas gift for each other. This year the theme was hearts. They could make anything they wanted as long as it had a heart on it.

The gift I made included to handmade parts. I made a beaded scissor fob using pink heart beads among the others.

I then embroidered a little pink heart shaped case for the scissors.

I totally forgot to take a photo of the gift wrapped all up. Each year now, I am going all out with the wrapping to tempt everyone with my gift. I placed this scissor set in a wooden gift box with beautiful vintage images and wrapped ribbon around it attaching an ornament made of what we call farmer's or poor man's silver (mercury glass). Four of the ladies declared war on each other to keep that gift. In the end, they had all the rest of us laughing to the point of tears as it came down to the last two who literally fought over the gift as one was allowed to steal it when her name was pulled and the other was trying to hide it. What is it each year about us having our Christmas party that reduces all of us to giggly school girls have a ball?


Enjoy the slideshow. It is long as I included everyone's photo this year but if you look, you will see glimpses of the gift box and the fun.

And what about my gift? I got Elly's beautiful handmade wool scarf. I just adore it and it was the perfect gift for me to receive. I have a passion for scarfs. It has already been put to good use as we went to the city center today in the snow and it kept me nice and warm. Thanks Elly!

14 comments:

Nancy said...

I just love these ladies and the gifts look so nice and they took so much care in handmaking them. Your scarf from Elly is just beautiful and so perfect for you. I am so glad you all had a great time and lots of good food. It was all worth it in the end for you. You make it so nice for them.
Love you, Mom

Susan in SC said...

What wonderful fun you all had. I love the scarf!

Anonymous said...

Yes it was great fun on the Christmas Party. Dear friends, presents and a real banquet! Everybody made such beautiful presents. Heidi I enjoyed the slideshow too!
Jammer dat je kerstmarkt in Duitsland niet doorging. Gelukkig is Amersfoort ook heel mooi. Liefs en nogmaals bedankt en hele fijne dagen.
Hugs, Elly

Anonymous said...

Gosh darn...I missed a good party! Maybe next year? Hugs!!

DonnaTN said...

It looks like you had a great party! I enjoyed the glimpses of your decorations and the new flooring!

Linda said...

Heidi, I loved the slideshow...the food looked wonderful and everyone was having such fun. I like your scarf, it's lovely and the fob and scissor case you made are precious. A lovely evening for good friends...hugs, Linda

Kaaren said...

Thank you for inviting us into your home. I just love all the gifts everyine received. Not only were they heart-themed but they were also made from the heart.


I wish I could have physically joined you rather than just in spirit. Thanks for sharing, Heidi.

hazel c UK said...

What a lovely party you had and such beautiful "heart" gifts made with such care and thought. I love your scissor keep and fob. I recognise a couple of the ladies from when I was there last year.
So pleased you were well enough to do the party.
Love Hazel (UK)

Saskia said...

Great fun we had! I wouldn't miss our party for the world. Tooo bad I couldn't hold on the to wooden box..... BUT I found the pickle again.!!
So how much luck can a woman have.
Thanx Heidi for the inspirations, and celabrations with such a great group of lady's
See you sunday with my friend.
Hugs

Christine said...

It looks like you had great fun and thwe gifts are beautiful

Carolien said...

Hello Heidi,

I am glad you had fun together!!! Your scarf looks great and so does the fob. And you certainly do need another scarf with this snow ;) On Sunday there will be more snow, lucky you!

Have a great weekend & groetjes voor jou en Jos & hugs, Carolien

Marsha said...

What a wonderful party. Looks like fun was had by all. Good food, gift exchange, laughter and the love of good friends. What could be better. Merry Christmas

Brigitte said...

You must have had a lot of fun together. And it certainly was a joy to make something with a heart - at least it would have been for me.

Joni said...

What a great party and what fun you all had! I loved seeing the ladies and their gifts. Bep's heart tote was gorgeous!! Congratulations to Saskia for finding that pickle, again. And lucky you, Heidi, for "stealing" Elly's scarf. So pretty! I actually remembered all the ladies and most of their names. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall to watch the festivities and buzz around that lovely spread of food. Made my mouth water!