"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Needlework 12 Days of Christmas - 11th day...

On the 11th day of Christmas...


...finishing up more old projects. This is another piece of stitching that my mother did for me but gave me to finish. She made this because it reminded her of me ringing the doorbell for her to come to the door when I was a little girl. She answered the door and I was everyone except Heidi but loved saying I was Little Red Riding Hood best.

When I took this out of the cupboard, I noticed that the fold of the fabric from being in the packaging before she used it had yellowed. Now what to do? Well...coffee stain, of course. I know my mother would have cringed if she would have seen me doing it but the yellow stripe has disappeared.

Dress it up with some pretty fabrics, lace and trims and you have a festive pillow for Christmas.

I puckered the tips and added some buttons.

Next year, I will have a well dressed couch for the holidays. And less projects left sitting in my cupboard waiting for some loving attention.

Tip: Instead of buying expensive filling, go to IKEA. They sell a pillow called the Gosa Slan for only 99 euro cents. Cut open the end and use the filling material for your projects.

20 comments:

Barb said...

I think you and your mum did a good job there Heidi. Only one day left ,wonder what day 12 will be.
Hope you are well ,suffering with virus' here .Take care hugs

Nima said...

wow...gorgeous finishing

Daisy said...

It has been great, I love it.

Congratulations

Susan in SC said...

Oh I just LOVE this! I love the stitching, the rick rack, and most of all the lovely story that goes with it! How sweet!

angelasweby said...

I remember Nancy stitching this, Heidi. Wasn't it this the design that started her cross stitching career? She's never one to start with a simple design, is she...haha! I adore it. You have finished it so prettily. It's a shame to put it away till next year :>) What a great idea to add a vintage touch with the staining :>)
Warm hugs Angela xx

Nancy said...

Boy, did you ever do that up cute. I love what you did with it. Now you can look at it and remember how you never stopped ringing the door bell and deciding who you would be just then. You were soooooooo cute, I could not complain about how many times a day you did it. hahaha.
Hummmmmmmmmmm, what can I do next to make you do a finish. lol.
Lovvvvvvvvve you, Mom

Christine said...

What an adorable finish!

Catherine said...

Love your finish and more so the story that goes with it!!

barbara said...

Oh I just LOVE it!!!

I miss Ikea.

DonnaTN said...

That is such a cute finish. I love the pearl buttons. I'll be sorry when the 12 days are over. I have really enjoyed your "series."

Brigitte said...

It's a wonderful finishing, Heidi. I just love the way you decorated your mother's stitched piece with fabric, lace and other things so that the stitching is kind of highlit (is that an English word?). And as Angela said, it's a pity to put it away until next Christmas.

Marsha said...

I love the little girl ringing the bell. What a nice pillow for Christmas and to feel close to your Mum. I can't wait to see the pillow Christmas tree next year, it is a LOT of stitching.

Margaret said...

What a wonderful design this is and the finishing is lovely. Good mother and daughter job.

Blu said...

What a lovely finish! The whole effect is just wonderful!

Jenny said...

Another beautiful finish! You are certainly starting the New Year off right...grins...I love this little cross-stitch pillow and the story behind it makes it special indeed. What a wonderful project to help remember a beautiful memory. Your mom did a beautiful job stitching it and you did a beautiful job finishing it off. Hugs.

Willy said...

Prachtig kussentje van je mam.
Bedankt voor de tip van de vulling.
Groetjes

Teri said...

Beautiful finish and a great story to go along with it! I admire the way you and your Mom stay "connected" through your needlework projects. The two of you make a great team!

jofridsquilt said...

A beautiful girl ringing the bell. I loved this pillow. Hugs Jofrid

Anne said...

What a lovely little pillow! It's wonderful that you and your mother made something together. A very special heirloom to pass on!

Anonymous said...

Love the tip and the work!
Dank u!
Theresa