"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hermit doing the moonwalk.....

That was me this weekend. It was the March hermit weekend. First I forgot to add my link to the list before it was too late. Then I started my stitching tucked up in Cranberry Cottage for a nice long weekend. Sounds like all was in place for a great weekend of needle and thread? I started my moonwalk (remember that move by Micheal Jackson) on Friday afternoon. I needed to finish off the last bits of this project...


As easy as it is, I had to restitch the initials 3 times and the date twice to get it right. Tomorrow, Bep and I have our monthly SAL day and will start the next step of our strawberry pincushions. This stitching was just the start.

Then I pulled out this old UFO. Now I love this piece but it got set aside when I needed to work on stitching ort jars for my quilt group's Christmas in July party last year. Not so good as it stayed there until now. In the theme of stitching UFOs, this was going to be next on my list. Oh my! Thankfully I did not take along the quilt I am quilting as I would have set this aside again and quilted. I had a terrible time with seeing what I was doing and there making mistakes. I also did not like a color I was using and frogged the flower to change it to the pink. I also forgot to take photos of where I started at the beginning of the weekend but you will have to take my word for it that I filled in the heart at the top right and started on the keys next to the heart.

I never have trouble with small count doing 1/1. This one is not even all that small at 30 stitches per inch. I love working something so that it is little and delicate but I did not used to have this silly eye disease which is plaguing my being able to focus properly. After working on this on and off since Friday, I put it aside on Monday evening and could feel my eyes were very irritated. I woke up this morning at 3:44am to a full blown attack and having to get up to take some pain medication. I refuse to give up on this UFO though! It will get done but I need to pace myself a little more on it maybe...


We sometimes have our moonwalker moments as stitchers when you end up stitching more backwards than forwards. I am hoping next month will go a little smoother for my next hermit weekend...

In the meantime, maybe I should just try and catch the moon while listening to Elizabeth Mitchell (just love Elizabeth Mitchell and listen to her in my quilt studio all the time...) sing with Lisa Loeb...

17 comments:

Nancy said...

Both pieces are coming right along. I don't know how you stand to do that though. I have to stitch only one project at a time.
Now rest your eyes for awhile since they are bothering you. Listen to a talking book instead.
Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hello

Both of your pieces look beautiful, very pretty.

Unknown said...

It looks like you're working on some beautiful pieces there. I've been doing a lot of frogging on my piece as well, but I'm not in a rush so I don't mind.

Jenny said...

Your stitching is beautiful as always Heidi. I love this sampler but am sorry it gave your eyes problems...hang in there my friend I know you will finish this piece at your own pace and it will be beautiful!!!!! 30 count is small for me anyway and that is over two...lol...I usually stay no smaller the 32 and for over one stitching...28 count...and then I still have to bring out the good ole magnifying glasses...grins...Here is a hug from CA. my friend.

Lida said...

Wat gaaf! Wat een mooi borduurwerk! Groetjes
Lida

Julie said...

Lovely progress.

Anne said...

Wow! Such pretty pieces you are working on and BRAVO for doing it 1 over 1!! If I do 1 over 1 I usually have another piece to work on that isn't so my eyes can take a break.

Willy said...

Hej Heidi, mooie borduurwerkjes.
Fijne week, lieve groet

barbara said...

You take it easy on those beautiful peepers, Heidi!!

Ginny said...

30 count fabric isn't small? Ok, if you say so. 28 count is my fabric of choice, although sometimes (rarely) I use 32 count. My eyes are just too mature to do much 1/1 stitching on even 28 count. (I'm due for new glasses, but have to wait until we have the money.)

Christine said...

Lovely work. Some days it just seems you need to take three stitches back for every four you go forwards

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful pieces and such a beautiful video - thanks for sharing. I loved the "lady in the moon".
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Barb said...

A big hug coming your way Heidi no dancing for me this week either ,not even moonwalking. Hoping to get new meds soon so I can dance again. So you need to get those fine sparkling eyes back to dancing mode too.
Take care sweetie.

Catherine said...

Your progress looks good ~ keep going! I do hope you are feeling better and take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

I am sure this stitching will be finished, but take your time and use the bright sunny days!

Jantine said...

Last comment was mine, but somehow google thinks I am anonymous ;-).

Joysze said...

Heidi, they both look beautiful!! I love your 1 over 1 piece. They're so dainty and pretty. :D