"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Friday, February 24, 2012

Granny...imperfection but still happy dancing!

This working away on UFOs is really becoming fun and addictive. I am enjoying seeing things get finished. My latest finish is my granny square throw...


The problem with some UFOs is that you have to remember what you were doing where you left off. This was going to be a nice large afghan but turned into a throw when I discovered I made a huge beginners mistake.


But the good thing about making a mistake is that you can learn a lesson. If you enlarge the photo above you might be able to see the mistake. I had been merrily making my granny squares and, when I finished the next 20, started sewing them together. But they did not fit on the previous squares or look right. I kept trying to figure out what I did as the actual granny rounds were exactly the right size. Then I saw what I did! I had done a round of single crochet to each and every square before I sewed them together in the previous squares. I just sewed them on and started working on a more elaborate border. 


Lesson learned...always jot down what you are doing on a piece of paper and put it in your project basket. In the meantime, I thought it was a good piece to practice playing with ideas for a border. I just made it up as I went along. It too is not perfect but this is going to be a throw to be well used with all its "wonkiness" and imperfections. 


Yet another UFO is off my list and that feels great. I have another crochet finish to share but I will save that for my next post. You see, I do have new starts every so often but this was a one day project as a reward for having finished this throw. 


So until that post, have a really wonderful and creative weekend!

21 comments:

garden2day said...

Blunder or not, it is beautiful!

Hazel said...

Looks great to me! Love the border. X

Jackie's Stitches said...

I honestly don't see any mistake. LOVE the border you came up with. We always think when we put aside a project that we'll be coming back to it rather quickly. Jotting down a note about where we are is invaluable and something I need to work on myself!

Lida said...

No problem, no one will notice! Looks great!
Lida

onlymehere said...

Yay, Heidi! I'm the opposite of you though. I really don't have UFOs bz I can't stand not to finish things. That said, you probably remember that last year I finished up some pillow cases that I'd embroidered 30+ years ago! I'm definitely not perfect in finishing all projects at all times! Love the throw!

Unknown said...

I can't see the mistake and im sure no one else would either. It's gorgeous i love the border the grey and pink work so softly together. Have a lovely weekend, dee x

Nancy said...

It is really pretty, I love the border you made up. Sometimes that is just the perfect thing to do. I am so proud of you doing all of this
crocheting, more to the point, your
Gramma would have been so proud of you. Great job and another finish.
Love you MOST, Mom
Now to fight the stupid letters to post this. LOL

Penny said...

It is so pretty and I love the colors! :) If there is any wonkiness or any imperfections in it, I don't notice.

Anonymous said...

Dat heb je snel gedaan, weer een project klaar.
Je mag wel 2-brillen opzetten om het foutje te zien, dus niet meer aan denken.

Liefs en huygs, Bep.

♥ Nia said...

It looks great!! :D Adorable colors and I don't see any mistake :)
Have a great weekend!!

Jenny said...

I love your throw Heidi, it looks absolutely beautiful. Mistakes( and no I cannot find any either...grins...)always make the piece more our own. This looks like just the afghan to curl up with and enjoy a nice cozy mystery and a cup of tea :). I really like the size too. It is a perfect number of blocks. I have my yarn stash sorted so I can begin a throw like the one in your header...but finishing up a UFO first...grins...Hugs from CA.

Unknown said...

I had to stop crochet for a while because I was having trouble with my little finger after I bent it backward. If I ever get all the cross stitch projects done I'll have to pick up my granny square project and finish it. Hopefully my finger is healed by now. I like what you did. Granny squares are very addictive. I miss doing them.

Christine said...

It looks perfect to me

Julie said...

Nice colours in this throw, it's beautiful.

Catherine said...

Beautiful! I love the colors!

Ginny said...

What lovely colors! Your throw looks nice and warm. Think Dagi will share it with you?

Anonymous said...

Since I don't crochet, it looks wonderful to me.
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Sonja said...

Nou, ik ben heel benieuwd waar de fout nu zit. Haaktechnisch Engels vind ik nog een beetje moeilijk te begrijpen...

barbara said...

It is beautiful and I love it!!

Jantine said...

Just beautiful! You are into crochet real bad ;-)...

Susan in SC said...

This is really pretty Heidi. It's those imperfections that makes it special! I love your border and the colors. Well done!!