"Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing"
~Author Unknown

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shoe mat: One day project tutorial

This past Wednesday, I went out for a day of shopping and lunch with quilting friends Bep and Mieke. We stopped into a couple of shops to look at what yarn they had.


For some time, I have had an idea of trying to make a shoe mat (no more wet shoes on my wood floor) for my hallway but needed really chunky yarn which I found that afternoon. I got started on Thursday afternoon and by that same evening, my mat was done. It was fun to have a quick project which gives you instant gratification.


You need very chunky yarn (I used 5 balls of 100g each) and a 15mm (I think that is size S) crochet hook. Chain enough to make the foundation of your mat as wide as you would like it. I chained 22. Then chain 2 extra which is your first single crochet. Now crochet in each chain for a total of 22 single crochet. Chain 2 and turn. Single crochet 22 using only the back loop of the previous row of sc. Chain 2 and turn and repeat rows until the mat is the length you desire. 

For the border, single crochet around the entire mat. I made sure I created 2 sc per row I had crocheted. Now starting at a corner, chain 3 which is your first double crochet. Make 4 double crochet in the same stitch as the ch 3. Skip next sc and sc in the next stitch. Skip next sc and make 5 dc in the next stitch. Continue around the mat and end by makiing a slip stitch in the 3rd chain of the beginning stitch. 


I wanted my mat to be wide enough to set Jos' big old and much beloved Cat boots on top and wide enough for under my coat rack. You could adjust your pattern for whatever size will work right for you. It is so fun and easy to make so why not try one. If you cannot find chunky yarn, you could use 2 or 3 strands of yarn crocheted together.


And now I am off to dig into my seasonal decorations for my St. Patrick's Day bowl fillers. Did you notice that empty dough bowl? *grins*

20 comments:

garden2day said...

Heidi, your project looks great!

Christine said...

Great project!

Sonja said...

Wat staat dat knus! Helemaal op maat gemaakt voor jullie hal en de bijpassende schoenen! Mooi werk!

Catherine said...

What a wonderful idea! I'd need one twice that size to hold the boys shoes!! I absolutely love the coziness of that nook in your house. Will be watching to see a pic of that dough bowl all filled up with stitches!

Hazel said...

Great project! x

Sweet Sue said...

Luv your mat, so gratifying when a project is functional and comes together so quickly! Enjoy your week to some:)

Nancy said...

It is wayyyyy to pretty to sit wet boots on. It came out so nice. I guess the fact that it is washable makes it a little easier to see your point. LOL.
Very nice job and that is one whopper hook.
Love you, Mom

Pondside said...

Thank you Heidi! I've been wanting to make a mat for in front of the kitchen sink - something pretty enough and sturdy enough and this is exactly it.

Teri said...

Heidi, I love the shoe mat! It's so ironic that I was drooling over the knit rug at http://www.purlbee.com/ this morning - until I saw the price of the yarn. Ouch! I have to agree with your Mom, though - too pretty to set wet shoes on. Another beautiful finish though!

Deborah said...

What a beautiful mat! I would hate to put my dirty shoes on it.

Maggie said...

What a great idea Heidi!

Deb said...

What a great idea. I love your mat!!

Rhonda said...

Hello again Heidi
lovely mat, it looks really nice. I am not much on crocheting but I read your directions and I think it is instructions even I could follow

Rhonda said...

PS love your mom's comment. It is too pretty for wet boots :)

Ginny said...

This is a great project. I pinned it on Pinterest for future reference.

Anonymous said...

I don't crochet much any more, but I might be able to manage that project. Awfully pretty for muddy boots, though.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Tammy said...

You amaze me with how quickly your projects are finished! I need something near the front door and this would be perfect. When the physical therapist gives me the okay to crochet again, I'll definitely be making one of these!

DonnaTN said...

Great shoe mat! Thanks for the directions.

Julie said...

Fabulous mat

Anonymous said...

Goed gelukt hoor, wat zal dat stukje vloer daar blij mee zijn, zo lekker onder een warm kleedje.
Jij vind het toch ook niet lekker om steeds een paar natte schoenen op je kop te krijgen. En de kleur past leuk in de hal.

Liefs en huygies, Bep.